I chose this subject matter due to a love for the Impressionist and Bohemian time period, specifically the artstic revolutions of the 1800s-1900s in Paris. Montmartre is such an interesting area of culture and many artists took to painting and rendering the scenery and culture of this section of city, making it a prominent subject of the arts during this time. I wanted to look at the different pieces and representations of the city and its people to see how artists viewed it during this period of time.
All of my images were found on Google Arts and Culture, as was the metadata I used. The site was great about having clear data and descriptions about each image.
The fields/elements that I chose for my resouce template are title, creator, date, rights, source, description, subject. I felt that all of these were very descriptive of the data and accurately categorized each image. The identifiers I chose was the theme montmartre_1, montmartre_2, and so on. This felt like a basic way to identifiy the pieces that is uniform and is representative of what they depict and the theme of this page.
I assigned Getty control vocabulary to the subject and the artist. These felt like vocabularies that have a great link to the Getty controls and have a wealth of information behind them. I linked the subjects of paintings or prints depending on what each piece was. Sometimes, I would add the subject of Impressionism to the subject tag if it directly related to the piece. I also always linked the artist.
In particular, I will walk through one item on the site to show how I assigned the data for it. The piece is a painting featuring a scenary scene of Montmartre. I got the image and data from Google Arts and Culture.
For the montmartre_2, it has the 2 in the identity for it for it is the second in the line-up. The next is the title that is just the title of the painting., which is Boulevard Montmartre, Spring. After this, is the date category which, in this case, is 1897. The description is next and I, personally, took the description from the Google Arts and Culture page since they did a wonderful job describing the piece, the culture , the artist, and the circumstances around it. I quoted it and added a credit to the site to give them credit. I tagged the subject in Getty and used the paintings (visual works) and the Impressionist (style) tags to describe the fundamentals of what the pieces are and what they are representing. After this, I tagged the creator as what Getty standardized, Camille Pissarro in this case. Source was next, which is titled as Google Arts and Culture and linked to the websit through the URI. Dimensions were next which I added here because the site had them (if the piece did not have them, they are not featured). This is the same with medium. For this piece, one was not put in, so I put nothing, but there is somehting if it was stated in the Google Arts and Culture metadata. The last piece was rights. This piece's rights are from The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. Some pieces were not as clear and might have gotten a more generic Google Arts and Culture response, but others, like this, had a specific place and sometimes URl. Then the item is specifically linked to the item set.
I kept all of the metadata that Google Arts and Culture had. Sometimes it had items I did not feature, sometimes it did not have one I was planning on showing. I did the subject myself. I agreed with all of its classifications. I classified them as the work for that is what it is. The image is just showing what the actual piece is, so while I put image under classification, the cataloguing is of the work itself.